Thursday, April 3, 2008

About Sewing Rooms




On Sunday I met with my sewing girls. We meet once a month. After a long wait one of the girls has her own sewing room. What a fabulous treat to have a dedicated sewing room. It got me thinking about the spaces we use to knit and sew. I have converted the diningroom-part of our openplan kitchen, dining and sitting room into my sewing space. That way I am close enough to the food, to stop it from burning. Does anybody else put the supper on and then toddle off to do a bit of sewing while the rice cooks? Well, I have thrown away so many burnt pots. Sewing and knitting is just so absorbing. But, hold on, I digress. About sewing spaces...... Some lucky girls have a dedicated room, some have a corner in a room, some eat on the floor because, well, you know, the dining table is the sewing spot. And then there is this wonderful woman..... from my homeland.........I wonder if she feels the same way I do about sewing? This is her space. She makes Damara dolls in traditional clothes. Her sewing space is on the side of the road. I really do wonder if we feel the same way about sewing and do we have the same dreams .... a home with a dedicted sewing room?

2 comments:

Andrea said...

That's a perfect picture that makes me feel a lot better about owning a crappy overlocker - at least I have one!

Connie said...

The photo is wonderful...she looks like the dolls she is making! It is so wonderful that as diverse as we all are the love of such a common craft bonds us all across the miles.